It started with two sets of steps, one off the front of the house, and one out from the kitchen, down into the dog run. Over the years, the dogs (mostly Rusty) dug out underneath the dog run steps, and they became unstable and needed to be replaced. Over the course of the past few months we've talked about replacing the steps, and building a deck in their place.
Friday Bob took down the dog run stairs and built a set of box stairs in their place. On Saturday, we staked out, measured and drilled 12 30 inch holes (6" diameter) in the front yard for the support poles. The holes took most of Saturday to do, drilling down that deep into the clay was really tough. We put 40lbs of concrete into each hole and let it set over night.
We were joined by our friend Jeff today and we demolished the old steps, set the support posts, and framed the whole 12ft x 30ft deck today. It was a lot of work, and I documented the process on flickr here, so you can get a better idea of everything we had to do. The pictures don't do the small details justice, but we put a lot of work in.
Pictures are here
Bob and I are both thrashed. We're completely drained. We're also super-happy with the progress we made and that we really go something accomplished this weekend.
Next weekend is Denver Pride, so we'll be out having fun, feeling like we've really deserved it!